• Enters his fourth season at Northern Arizona University after being hired in February of 2013. Plough begins his second season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He spent the previous two seasons as the wide receivers coach.
• Coming off one of the most successful offensive seasons in school history where NAU changed its offense to a pro style/no-huddle philosophy, Plough coached quarterback Case Cookus to FCS STATS Freshman Player of the Year honors, in addition to winning the Jerry Rice Award and other numerous All-American accolades. Cookus broke an 11-year old NCAA FCS freshman record for most touchdown passes in a season; including setting a new school record. He had the fewest interceptions in the FCS by any quarterback with 3,000 or more passing yards.
• Catching the majority of Cookus’ passes was fellow All-American wide receiver Emmanuel Butler. He broke a 16-year old NAU record for the most receiving yards in a season (1,208) and tied for the most touchdown receptions in a season (15).
• Running the ball in 2015 was All-Big Sky First Team rusher Casey Jahn. He ran for 1,035 yards to become the program’s 12th player to cross the 1,000-yard barrier.
• Cookus, Butler, and Jahn became the third group in school history to register 3,000 passing yards, 1,000 receiving yards, and 1,000 rushing yards in the same season.
• During Plough’s first year as offensive coordinator, NAU had the 11th best offense in the FCS. The Lumberjacks ranked first in team passing efficiency (180.18), seventh in scoring offense (39.3), eighth in passing offense, and eighth in red zone offense (89.8).
• In 2014, Plough coached wide receiver Ify Umodu to All-Big Sky Third Team honors, while Alex Holmes picked up honorable mention accolades. Umodu went on to sign a free agent contract with the Chicago Bears in 2015.
• Coached Nick Cole and Jesse Brantley to Big Sky Honorable Mention accolades in 2013. His receivers scored 11 of the team’s 13 receiving touchdowns, while four players registered 300 or more receiving yards on the season.
• Had a 10-year playing and coaching career at UC Davis under head coach Bob Biggs. He played for the Aggies from 2002-07, getting the starting gig his final season. As a senior, he completed over 64 percent of his passes for 1,355 yards and 11 touchdowns.
• Began his coaching career as a volunteer assistant on the Aggie staff for the 2008 season before earning a full-time role as quarterbacks coach in 2009.
• Added responsibilities each season of his four-year stint, finishing as co-offensive coordinator and play caller for the 2012 season in the school’s first season in the Big Sky Conference. He started calling plays for the Aggies in 2011 and was also the pass-game coordinator for each of the last three seasons (2010-12).
• Set school records at Ramona High School for completions (312) and passing yards (5,005). He earned All-Valley League honors in both football and baseball as a senior. He added second-team All-San Diego Section distinction in 2002.
• Graduated from UC Davis in 2008 with a degree in history and earned his master’s degree in coaching education from Ohio University in 2012.
• Plough and his wife Christine were married in June 2013. They have one son, Jack.
• Coaching Accolades
All-Conference Honorees - Jesse Brantley (2013, HM), Nick Cole (2013, HM), Alex Holmes (2014, HM), Ify Umodu (2014, 3rd), Case Cookus (2015, 1st)
All-American Honorees - Case Cookus (2015)
College: UC Davis, 2008
Playing Experience: UC Davis, 2005-08
Family: Wife, Christine; Son, Jack
Plough's Coaching Chronology
2008 UC Davis, Volunteer Assistant
2009 UC Davis, Quarterbacks Coach
2013 Northern Arizona, Wide Receivers Coach
2015 Northern Arizona, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach
Get to Know Coach Plough: