Northern Arizona (5-5, 4-3 BSC) vs. Southern Utah (5-5, 4-3 BSC)
Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 • 2 p.m. MST
Flagstaff, Ariz. • Walkup Skydome
TV: FOX SPORTS AZ
Radio: Flagstaff HITS 106.1 FM; Phoenix Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM; Prescott Area 97.9 FM Eagle Rocks; Window Rock/Ft. Defiance, Ariz. & Gallup, N.M. KHAC 880 AM
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Saturday is Senior Day for Northern Arizona football. The Lumberjacks will host Southern Utah in the season finale as both teams compete for the HintonBurdick Grand Canyon Trophy. Kickoff at the Walkup Skydome is scheduled for 2 p.m.
FOX SPORTS AZ
The Opening Drive
• The HintonBurdick Grand Canyon Trophy is on the line this Saturday versus Southern Utah. The Thunderbirds have held on to the trophy for the last two seasons. Since the HBGCT rivalry game was introduced, SUU has won three out of the four games. NAU has not beaten the Thunderbirds at home Sept. 19, 2009. The teams are 4-4 versus each other in the last eight outings.
• Senior Day is this Saturday. NAU will be honoring 21 seniors pregame. The Lumberjacks are 3-1 at home this season in the Walkup Skydome.
• Emmanuel Butler (106), Elijah Marks (115), and Delshawn McClellon (119) all registered 100-plus yards receiving at North Dakota on Nov. 12. NAU is the only FCS school this season to have three receivers accomplish the feat in the same game.
• Butler is looking to become NAU's first receiver to register 1,000 yards twice. He sits at 903 yards entering Saturday's game.
• NAU has had 10 different players record a touchdown this season, led by Emmanuel Butler's eight receptions. Butler has 903 receiving yards, while teammate Elijah Marks has 770 receiving yards and five touchdowns. Running back Joe Logan leads the Lumberjack run game with four rushing touchdowns and 659 yards. Logan leads the league in yards per carry at 6.9.
• The NAU defense is tied for first in the Big Sky in sacks with 26 for a loss of 192 yards. Senior linebacker Jake Thomas has a team-high 73 tackles, followed by sophomore linebacker Jake Casteel's 65.
Scouting Southern Utah
• Head Coach DeMario Warren is in his first season at Southern Utah. Warren spent the previous eight seasons with the Thunderbirds, including the last two as defensive coordinator. Warren and NAU's offensive coordinator Tim Plough played at UC Davis together.
• SUU enters Saturday's game on a one-game losing streak after falling to BYU last week in non-conference competition. Prior to that, the T-Birds were on a two-game win streak with victories over Idaho State and Montana State.
• The last time NAU and SUU played in Flagstaff, the T-Birds beat the Lumberjacks 49-41 on Nov. 21, 2015. NAU leads the all-time series, 12-7.
• The T-Birds are 1-4 in road games this season and haven't won a game on the road since Oct. 29, 2016 in a 52-27 victory over Idaho State.
• Wide receiver Mike Sharp is the Thunderbirds key to their offense. He ranks second in the Big Sky in catches and seventh in receiving yards. He has 27 career touchdown receptions and needs one to tie the school record of 28.
• The Thunderbirds have a semi-balanced attack, while their opponents have a clear advantage in the passing game putting up 3,027 yards on SUU. The Thunderbird defense has quick hands and speed resulting in 17 interceptions for 183 yards. Tyler Collet is the main culprit registering four interceptions this season for 28 yards. He's third on the team in tackles with 65 and has six pass breakups.
• SUU is eighth in the league in scoring offense (27.3) and seventh in scoring defense (29.1).