Aug 07, 2015
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – With the 2015 football season just around the corner, here's a few things you should know about the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks.
- NAU is ranked No. 22 in the Sporting News College Football poll. The 'Jacks have also received votes in the FCS Coaches' Poll.
- The Lumberjacks were voted No. 5 in the Big Sky Coaches' Preseason Poll and No. 6 by the media after finishing last season 7-5 overall and 5-3 in league play.
- NAU went 4-1 at home in the Walkup Skydome in 2014. The 'Jacks are 9-2 in Flagstaff over the last two seasons.
- Four Lumberjacks – senior cornerback Marcus Alford, senior fullback Nick Butier, senior tight end RJ Rickert, and senior punter/kicker Ryan Hawkins were all named to the Big Sky Preseason All-Conference Team.
- Eight of NAU's 11 games this season will be televised. All five home games will be broadcast on FOX Sports AZ. Road games being shown this season are NAU at Stephen F. Austin (ESPN3), Arizona (Pac-12 Network), and Montana (ROOT SPORTS).
- The 'Jacks returning statistical leaders include, Casey Jahn (rushing yards), Alex Holmes (punt return yards), Elijah Marks (kickoff return yards), Marcus Alford (interceptions), Eddie Horn (interceptions and tackles), Ryan Hawkins (scoring, field goals, and punting), John Herrero (tackles for loss), Siupeli Anau (sacks), and Deon Young (sacks).
- One hundred percent of NAU's punt return yards, field goals, kickoff yards, and fumble recoveries are back in 2015.
- NAU's season opener will be the third time the Lumberjacks will face the Lumberjacks. The series is tied at 1-1 with the last meeting taking place in 2004.
- Head Coach Jerome Souers has 100 career wins. He is the longest tenured coach in NAU football history and has the second most wins in Big Sky history.
- The Northern Arizona football program celebrates its 100th Anniversary this season. Over 2,100 letterwinners have come through the program.