Game 1 Information
Opponent: San Diego State
Date/Time: Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014 • 4 p.m.
Location: San Diego, Calif. (Qualcomm Stadium)
Radio: HITS 106.1 FM
Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM
Northern AZ Healthcare Lumberjack Radio Network
Play-by-play - Mitch Strohman
Analyst - Kevin Stephens
Sideline - Matt Howdeshell
Audio Stream: http://gcmaz.com/nau-lumberjacks-football/
Video Stream: N/A
Television: CBS Sports Network
On The Web: Live in-game statistics and other coverage can be found
Head Coaches: NAU: Jerome Souers (Career: 93-88 in 16 seasons; At NAU: same)
SDSU: Rocky Long (Career: 90-83 in 14 seasons; At SDSU: 25-14 in three seasons)
Against SDSU: Third Meeting
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Northern Arizona football opens the 2014 season up on the road at San Diego State University. Kickoff at Qualcomm Stadium is set for 4 p.m.
The Lumberjacks enter the season slated 23rd in The Sports Network Preseason Poll, and 25th in the FCS Coaches' Preseason Poll. The College Sports Madness Preseason Poll has NAU ranked 24th.
Saturday's game will be broadcast live on HITS 106.1 FM and www.gcmaz.com. Mitch Strohman will be providing play-by-play and Kevin Stephens will be doing color commentary. Live stats are available on www.goaztecs.com. The game will also be aired live on the CBS Sports Network (please see your local provider for more details).
The Aztecs are on a two-game win streak at home, as they are coming off a Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Championship victory. San Diego State is led by fourth-year head coach Rocky Long. The Aztecs played eight games that were decided by seven points or less last season, and finished second place in the West Division of the Mountain West.
NAU has 10 of its starters returning from a year ago. Leading the way is junior quarterback Kyren Poe, and senior linebacker Austin Hasquet. Poe completed 163 passes on 270 attempts for a total of 1,602 yards and six touchdowns during his sophomore season. Hasquet led the team with 91 tackles and tied for a team-high three interceptions. The Lumberjacks led the FCS in defensive touchdowns in 2013, while finishing first in the Big Sky in total defense (348.3), pass defense (190.8), passing efficiency defense (107.7), opponent first downs (17.7), opponent third-down conversions (34.9) and opponent fourth-down conversions (29.4).
• Saturday's game will be the third meeting between the two teams.
• SDSU has won both of the previous meetings (1965 and 1966).
• NAU was picked to finish fifth in the Big Sky Preseason Poll.
• NAU enters the season on a three-game road win streak.
Did you know?
• You can download the new NAU Athletics mobile app on Google Play and the Apple Store. Search: "Lumberjack Front Row." Receive breaking news, scores and alerts by signing up for notifications.
• NAU will open the season ranked in the top 25 for the second straight year.
• Senior Austin Hasquet is the third football player in school history to earn Academic All-America first team honors, and the first player since Mark Gould (2003) to receive the honor. He is also the 10th student-athlete in NAU history to earn first team honors since the program began in 1952.