Lumberjack Football Ready to Claim Grand Canyon Trophy
Game 11 Information
Opponent: No. 20 Southern Utah
Date/Time: Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013/1:05 p.m.
Location: Cedar City, Utah (Eccles Coliseum)
Radio: KBTK 105.1 FM
Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM
Sodexo Lumberjack Radio Network
Play-by-play - Mitch Strohman
Analyst - Kevin Stephens
Sideline - Matt Howdeshell
Audio Stream: www.BigTalkerRadio.com
Video Stream: www.WatchBigSky.com
On The Web: Live stats www.SUUTBirds.com
Head Coaches: NAU: Jerome Souers (Career: 92-87 in 16 seasons; At NAU: same)
SUU: Ed Lamb (Career: 34-32 in six seasons; At SUU: same)
Against SUU: 17th Meeting
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The top two defenses in the league will square off this weekend as No. 10 Northern Arizona visits No. 20 Southern Utah in the final game of the regular season. The winner of the game will take home the HintonBurdick Grand Canyon Trophy. Kickoff at Eccles Coliseum is set for 1:05 p.m.
The Lumberjacks (8-2, 6-1 Big Sky) are ranked No. 10 in The Sports Network and No. 12 in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision coaches poll, both of which were released on Monday.
Saturday's game will be broadcast live on KBTK 105.1 FM and www.BigTalkerRadio.com and Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM. Mitch Strohman will be providing play-by-play and Kevin Stephens will be doing color commentary. The game will not be televised, but live stats will be available on www.SUUTBirdscom. Fans can watch online at www.WatchBigSky.com.
The Lumberjacks look to capture their sixth straight win and third straight on the road this weekend. Led by All-American running back Zach Bauman, NAU is currently second in the Big Sky Conference standings. A loss on Saturday by Eastern Washington would give NAU a share of the conference title.
No. 20 Southern Utah (8-3, 5-2 Big Sky) is ranked in the top 25 for the first time since 1995. The Thunderbirds are coming off a 22-14 victory over No. 8 Montana State on the road. SUU leads the league in total defense with an average of 342.1 yards per game.
The HintonBurdick Grand Canyon Trophy will be presented for the second time Saturday to the winner of the game and will be on display at the winner's school until the next meeting.
HintonBurdick, PLLC, is a regional accounting firm with offices located in both home cities featured in the game, Flagstaff and Cedar City, Utah, as well as other Utah locations in St. George, Hurricane and Richfield and Mesquite, Nev. The Flagstaff office includes partners K. Mark Frost, CPA and Kevin L. Stephens, CPA.
Northern Arizona and Southern Utah will compete for the 17th time in school history.
Lumberjacks in the Polls
The Northern Arizona football team improved in the national polls after a 24-7 defeat over Northern Colorado at home. The Lumberjacks moved up two spots to No. 10 in The Sports Network poll. The FCS Coaches Poll has NAU slated 12th, one position up from last week. The College Sports Madness poll moved the Lumberjacks up one spot to eighth.
• SUU has won the last two meetings versus the Lumberjacks. NAU leads the all-time series, 11-5.
• NAU is in second place in the league standings with a 6-1 conference mark.
• Southern Utah is in a three-way tie for third in the Big Sky with a 5-2 conference record.
• The T-Birds are on a three-game win streak after knocking off No. 8 Montana State on the road last week.
• NAU finished the regular season undefeated at home with a 5-0 record. It was the first home sweep since 1996.
• The Lumberjacks have been ranked in the top 25 all season long.
Did you know?
• On Sept. 28, 2013 senior running back Zach Bauman became the first player in NAU history to rush for 4,000 career yards.
• On Nov. 2 Zach Bauman became the ninth player in FCS history to rush for 1,000 yards four times.
• NAU leads the Big Sky with five pick-sixes and is tied for first in the nation in defensive touchdowns.
• NAU's defense is led by junior Austin Hasquet, who has 75 tackles. The next nine defensive stoppers are all seniors.