Careers at NAU
Northern Arizona University has multiple Graduate Assistant positions within the Athletics Department available for Fall 2017. The positions begin in August 2017 and are 1-year (9-10 month) appointments with the potential to be renewed upon a successful performance evaluation.
The program will provide Graduate Assistants with practical, professional experiences. The GAs are members of the department staff and will be fully exposed to the daily operations of a Division I Athletics Department in preparation for a future in the business of intercollegiate athletics.
Benefits may include full or partial tuition waivers, monthly stipend and/or books scholarships.
Graduate Assistant - Athletics Marketing
The successful candidate must possess a willingness to learn, enthusiastic and creative attitude. Must be timely and dependable and above all willing to get their hands dirty and have fun! The successful candidate must be willing to work weekdays and nights, weekends and potentially games over break.
The job responsibilities are as follows but not limited to:
Coordination of ALL Louie the Lumberjack Appearances for Athletic Events, On-Campus and Off-Campus Events. They will play a heavy role in the direction of hiring and advertising for new Louie candidates as the position is required.
The planning, execution, set-up and tear down of The Ponderosa powered by Coors Light (Football) and the Coors Light True Blue Lounge (Men’s Basketball).
Lead “Painting the Town” Blue in August, which includes a city wide initiative to get our Brand in front of the Flagstaff Community. Will be responsible for executing and planning this out with the help of our student athletes.
Direct, select games at the Scorer’s Table for Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball and Soccer as well as assist in the creation and execution of marketing efforts for these sports.
Sole marketing contact for Indoor Track and Field, which includes coming up with a Marketing plan and being involved in Game-Day.
Sole marketing contact with direct supervision from the Assistant Director of Marketing for Soccer.
Send out day to day office requests such as print material requests from fans, mass emails for promotional aspects such as the coaches show and coaches luncheon reminders to ALL STAFF. Coordination of making sure the Marketing Table is always looking good and fully stocked on the East Concourse.
Will play a key role in helping to continue to keep the attitudes and enthusiasm for our student staff UP and in good Spirits during the course of the year.
All other duties as assigned. This position carries a $9,000 stipend plus books, while in Graduate School at Northern Arizona University.
All interested candidates please send resume and inquiries to email@example.com.
Graduate Assistant - Event Management/Facilities
Northern Arizona University, located in Flagstaff, Arizona, is seeking applications for a graduate assistant with Event Management to assist in the organization and implementation of all athletic and special events held within athletic facilities. This 10-12 month position will be responsible for various aspects of event management including, but not limited to, serving as a primary game manager for all home athletic events, assisting with set up and tear down of all events, supervising a staff of student workers, and assisting with all areas of facility administration and upkeep.
- Bachelor’s Degree and admission to the Graduate College
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Previous event management experience
Graduate school tuition waiver, books, and a $9,000 stipend will be provided. No benefits provided.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to Associate Athletics Director for Internal Operations, Beth Vechinski, at Beth.Vechinski@nau.edu
Student Intern Positions
Athletics Marketing Internship
NAU Athletics Marketing is looking for students at NAU that are interested in the exciting career of college athletics in the field of marketing. This internship is a year-long commitment starting in August of 2017 and going through May of 2017. Students must be energetic, and eager to learn in a fast paced environment. There is a chance to earn a tuition waiver determined by the Athletics Marketing staff. Interested candidates should email their resume to Athfirstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain opened until filled.
Louie the Lumberjack Position
Do you have the spirit of the Lumberjack? NAU Athletics is seeking a highly-motivated, energetic and spirited student to fill the Louie the Lumberjack position. The ideal candidate possesses strong communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal, is physically fit and has a creative personality. While mascot experience is preferred, it is not required.
- Perform as “Louie the Lumberjack” Mascot at athletics events and community events.
- Commit entirely to the assigned scheduled opportunities for “Louie” to appear at on-campus and off-campus events.
- Assist in creating routines for promotional entertainment.
- Commit to appearances at campus and community events to promote school spirit.
- Create a fun and entertaining experience by personally interacting with Lumberjack fans on and off campus
- Work events throughout the year, including summer if applicable.
- Attend weekly marketing meetings
- Provide timely communication with athletics marketing staff
- Full-time NAU student
- Ability to work required events on scheduled nights and weekends
- Comfortable performing in front of large crowds
- Outgoing, dependable and committed with a willingness and desire to have fun
- Strong communication skills, verbal and non-verbal
- Physically fit and can deal with heat well
- Ability to handle the demands of a full body costume
- Mascot experience preferred, not required
Please submit a resume and answer the question, “Why do you want to be Louie the Lumberjack?” in two paragraphs or less to Ali Mercado at Athemail@example.com . Applications will be open until Monday, April 17th, 2017 and auditions will be held at the Skydome through the week of April 24th, 2017.
Northern Arizona University – Director of Cheer
This position is responsible for the instruction, direction, and safety of the Northern Arizona University Cheer program. The position reports to the Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing within Northern Arizona University Athletics.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the administration and instruction of the Cheer program in accordance with Northern Arizona University, Big Sky Conference, NCAA,USA, UCA, AACCA, competitive cheer rules and regulations.
- Prepare routines, and stunts for performances and competition. Instruct and critique students in the proper techniques of competitive cheer such as stunts, vocal cheers, tumbling skills. Will teach and choreograph sidelines and fight song.
- Plan, coordinate, and provide instruction for tryouts/auditions, practices, conditioning, preparatory clinics, and performances at football games, basketball games, select volleyball games, and assigned events.
- Ensure emphasis on safety and welfare of students during instructional activities (e.g., practices, audition preparatory clinics), auditions, performances, and competitions. The coach shall do this by being knowledgeable of the injuries sustained in the sport and proper prevention methods, using appropriate pre-practice session and pre-game preparations, warm-ups and methods developed with the athletic training staff.
- Must be or become CPR and First Aid Certified. Also must be AACCA Certified. NAU can help complete these certifications if needed.
- Assess performance and provide instructional coaching towards the goal of improving performance. Work with strength and conditioning staff to develop workout routines and set times for team conditioning.
- Coordinate the administration of the cheer program, including but not limited to: purchasing and budget management, coordinating travel, scheduling practice facilities, recruiting students, fundraising activities, maintaining required documentation and program operations manual, monitoring academic progress, and participating in training and meetings as directed.
- Work in collaboration with Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing, administration, and other University entities to enhance and support university traditions, spirit-building events, and the game-week/day atmosphere for all home football games, men's and women's basketball, and other athletic events as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other spirit group personnel to foster an atmosphere of collaboration and camaraderie between spirit groups, and with student-athlete family and alumni to promote program involvement.
- Communicate and organize appearances special events including, but not limited to, Homecoming parade, banquets, selected away/conference games, and community outreach opportunities.
- Make recommendations to the director in regards to hiring qualified choreographers for competition routine.
- Manage and execute administrative duties, preparation, planning, and travel to and from UCA and USA College Nationals and camp.
- Serve as a mentor to students and applicable staff and maintain adherence to team code of conduct, while promoting positive image of the intercollegiate athletics program and University.
- Be or become CPR and First Aid certified. NAU can help complete these certifications if needed.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Northern Arizona University is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. Northern Arizona University immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
Northern Arizona University also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of college cheer experience and five years of high school/private cheer instruction
Information for Applicants
The selected candidate will demonstrate strong leadership, supervisory, and organizational skills. The candidate will also have ability to work collaboratively as well as establish and maintain effective relationships with the community, faculty, students, staff and alumni.
Position open until filled.
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and three references to Assistant Director of Marketing, Ali Mercado, Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment OpportunityNorthern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.