Careers at NAU
Northern Arizona University has multiple Graduate Assistant positions within the Athletics Department available for Fall 2017. The positions begin in August 2017 and are 1-year (9-10 month) appointments with the potential to be renewed upon a successful performance evaluation.
The program will provide Graduate Assistants with practical, professional experiences. The GAs are members of the department staff and will be fully exposed to the daily operations of a Division I Athletics Department in preparation for a future in the business of intercollegiate athletics.
Benefits may include full or partial tuition waivers, monthly stipend and/or books scholarships.
Graduate Assistant - Athletics Communications
Northern Arizona University, an NCAA Division I institution and member of the Big Sky Conference, is currently accepting applications for the position of a graduate assistant in the Athletics Communications Office. The position reports directly to the assistant athletics director for communications. The application deadline is March 24.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: serving as the primary media contact for the 2016 NCAA National Champion men’s cross country program. The applicant will also be the main contact for the women’s cross country, men’s and women’s track & field and women’s golf programs. The applicant will also assist in designing, coordinating and producing all publications, including media guides, news releases and brochures; compiling statistics; maintaining archives; performing game day and press box operations; updating the athletics website; and serving as the athletics department liaison to local, regional and national media outlets.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills. Previous experience working in a university athletics communications office is a plus. Additional consideration will also be given to applicants with a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and various Stat Crew Systems software packages. Applicants must be self-starters who have strong computer skills, can pay attention to creativity and detail, and the ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position requires extensive hours, including nights and weekends. Applicants interested in pursuing a career in the media relations/sports information field are best suited. Admission to the Graduate College and ability to work nights and weekends are required.
Graduate school tuition waiver, books, and a $900/month stipend will be provided. No benefits provided.
The expected start date is around August 7. For more information on Lumberjack Athletics, please visit www.NAUAthletics.com.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a minimum of two writing/publication samples to Assistant Athletics Director for Communications, Denise Thompson, at Denise.Thompson@nau.edu
Graduate Assistant for Student- Athlete Development
NAU Athletics is looking for a graduate assistant within the Student-Athlete Development department. This individual will mentor student-athletes in areas such as study skills, time management, degree progress, and other areas to help them succeed academically, and enhance their overall collegiate experience. This position also requires constant communication with coaches and other staff members in the department and on campus to help student-athletes succeed.
- Mentor assigned student-athletes though setting of academic goals, assisting with study strategies, monitoring degree progress, and checking grades.
- Direct student-athletes to appropriate university resources necessary for academic, athletic, and personal success.
- Communicate with full time staff as necessary regarding best practices, changes in at-risk status, additional resources needed, etc.
- Assist with Academic Recognition events
- Assist in other areas of personal development
- Assist in teaching a freshman level class for student-athletes
- Supervise study hall
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Understand that rules & compliance are a critical element of this position, and adhere to NCAA, Big Sky, and University rules
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Student-Athlete Development Staff
- Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with all members of the department and University.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from an Accredited Higher Education Institution
- Position is contingent on acceptance to a graduate program offered by Northern Arizona University by August 1, 2017
- Excellent communication skills; strong work ethic, well organized, self-started, and self-motivated; willingness to collaborate; ability to collaborate; ability to prioritize a workload and work under pressure in order to meet deadlines; exhibit a professional disposition
- Desire to obtain full-time employment in student-athlete support services
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than March 15, 2017 for priority consideration.
Graduate Assistant Athletics Compliance
Northern Arizona University, a NCAA Division I institution located in Flagstaff, Arizona, is seeking applications for a graduate assistant in the Athletics Compliance Office. This 9 month position’s responsibilities include but are not limited to maintaining student-athlete files/folders, updating Compliance Assistant (CA) and JumpForward, assisting with complimentary admissions pass list, processing National Letters of Intent, preparing rules education items, providing general customer service, and other monitoring duties as assigned.
Admission to the Graduate College and ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
Graduate school tuition waiver, books, and a $9,000 stipend will be provided. No benefits provided.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to Associate Athletics Director for Compliance Syed Moinuddin at email@example.com
Graduate Assistant – Administration
Duties & Responsibilities
NAU Athletics is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Graduate Assistant for Administration. This position will provide support for the executive staff and administrative assistant of the athletic department. The graduate assistant will report to the Assistant Athletic Director for Operations, with the goal of using organizational, research, and communication strategies effectively in an effort to allow NAU Athletics to provide an exceptional student-athlete experience both currently, and in the future. This position will adhere to NCAA and Big Sky rules and regulations, as well as the policies and procedures of the department, the university, and the Arizona Board of Regents. Specific duties include:
- Assisting the executive, senior, and administrative staffs with various administrative tasks in day-to-day operations.
- Assisting the Assistant Athletic Director for Operations with research, data compiling, and organization.
- Designing and building Excel documents and PowerPoint presentations based on data collection.
- Communicating relevant information and ideas to the Assistant Athletic Director for Operations.
- Contributing to special event preparation and operations.
- Providing support to the administrative assistant as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Normal business hours and some evenings, weekends, and holidays may be required.
Bachelor’s degree required, as well as acceptance & enrollment in NAU graduate courses (employment contingent upon proof of enrollment in graduate courses post hire). Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly to convey thoughts, ideas, and plans to Lumberjack administrators, coaches, and staff members.
- Strong professional organizational skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Aspirations to work within Division 1 athletics.
- Familiarity with NCAA Division 1 athletic department and its operations.
This is a 10-month assistantship with a start date of August 21, 2017. Compensation includes full tuition and monthly stipend of $900. The position is designed for candidates pursuing a master’s and the work schedule is flexible enough to accommodate most class schedules. The second year will only be renewed based on first year performance. University and class fees and books are not included.
March 28, 2017
Instructions to Apply
Submit via email a cover letter, resume, and phone number of three (3) references in a single Microsoft Word or PDF document to Matt.Howdeshell@nau.edu.
Graduate Assistant - Athletics Marketing
The successful candidate must possess a willingness to learn, enthusiastic and creative attitude. Must be timely and dependable and above all willing to get their hands dirty and have fun! The successful candidate must be willing to work weekdays and nights, weekends and potentially games over break.
The job responsibilities are as follows but not limited to:
Coordination of ALL Louie the Lumberjack Appearances for Athletic Events, On-Campus and Off-Campus Events. They will play a heavy role in the direction of hiring and advertising for new Louie candidates as the position is required.
The planning, execution, set-up and tear down of the Coors Light Fan Fest (Football) and True Blue Lounge (Men’s Basketball).
Lead “Painting the Town” Blue in August, which includes a city wide initiative to get our Brand in front of the Flagstaff Community. Will be responsible for executing and planning this out with the help of our student athletes.
Direct, select games at the Scorer’s Table for Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball and Soccer as well as assist in the creation and execution of marketing efforts for these sports.
Sole marketing contact for Indoor Track and Field, which includes coming up with a Marketing plan and being involved in Game-Day.
Sole marketing contact with direct supervision from the Assistant Director of Marketing for Soccer.
Send out day to day office requests such as print material requests from fans, mass emails for promotional aspects such as the coaches show and coaches luncheon reminders to ALL STAFF. Coordination of making sure the Marketing Table is always looking good and fully stocked on the East Concourse.
Will play a key role in helping to continue to keep the attitudes and enthusiasm for our student staff UP and in good Spirits during the course of the year.
All other duties as assigned. This position carries a $9,000 stipend plus books, while in Graduate School at Northern Arizona University.
All interested candidates please send resume and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Intern Positions
Louie the Lumberjack Position
Do you have the spirit of the Lumberjack? NAU Athletics is seeking a highly-motivated, energetic and spirited student to fill the Louie the Lumberjack position. The ideal candidate possesses strong communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal, is physically fit and has a creative personality. While mascot experience is preferred, it is not required.
- Perform as “Louie the Lumberjack” Mascot at athletics events and community events.
- Commit entirely to the assigned scheduled opportunities for “Louie” to appear at on-campus and off-campus events.
- Assist in creating routines for promotional entertainment.
- Commit to appearances at campus and community events to promote school spirit.
- Create a fun and entertaining experience by personally interacting with Lumberjack fans on and off campus
- Work events throughout the year, including summer if applicable.
- Attend weekly marketing meetings
- Provide timely communication with athletics marketing staff
- Full-time NAU student
- Ability to work required events on scheduled nights and weekends
- Comfortable performing in front of large crowds
- Outgoing, dependable and committed with a willingness and desire to have fun
- Strong communication skills, verbal and non-verbal
- Physically fit and can deal with heat well
- Ability to handle the demands of a full body costume
- Mascot experience preferred, not required
Please submit a resume and answer the question, “Why do you want to be Louie the Lumberjack?” in two paragraphs or less to Will Price, Director of Marketing at email@example.com . Applications will be open until Monday, April 17th, 2017 and auditions will be held at the Skydome through the week of April 24th, 2017.
About Northern Arizona University & Flagstaff
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. NAU serves more than 20,000 students in the Flagstaff community, and many more at satellite campuses across the state of Arizona and online across the United States. The university is a high-research institution, providing practical solutions to problems that impact our region, nation, and world. Our students and world-renowned faculty researcher’s work together to explore solutions to climate change, minority healthcare disparities, improve prosthetics technology, and create sustainable solutions for a wide variety of issues.
NAU is located in Flagstaff, Arizona. Flagstaff is a mountain town with a population of 67,468. At 7,000 feet, Flagstaff is surrounded by the largest ponderosa pine forest in the world. With an average of 288 days of sunshine per year and an average 100 inches of annual snowfall, Flagstaff offers a scenic setting to live and learn while surrounded by a landscape and four-season climate unlike anything else in Arizona. The town has drawn positive attention from a number of publications. Travel + Leisure magazine recently named Flagstaff among the top 10 Best College Towns in America, and Time.com has called it one of the nation’s happiest cities. Outside magazine has ranked Flagstaff as the 7th best town in the nation. Fodor.com named the city one of “20 College Towns We Love to Visit,” citing Flagstaff’s nearly 700 acres of parkland and its 50 miles of trails.
NAU has 15 NCAA Division I athletics teams. We offer an exceptional student-athlete experience, culminating in graduation. Our programs have been honored several times with the prestigious Big Sky Conference Presidents’ Cup, which recognizes overall athletic success in competition and in academics. NAU Athletics prides itself on four core goals:
- Provide student-athletes with an exceptional experience culminating in graduation
- Compete for Big Sky and WAC Championships
- Bring positive national exposure to NAU and Flagstaff
- Provide NAU fans, alumni, and supporters a place to unite and connect to the institution and celebrate NAU.
Equal Employment OpportunityNorthern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.